Supporting the Vaginal Microbiome, The Root Cause of Acne, and Why Your Dog Has Leaky Gut with Kiran Krishnan
[The Broken Brain with Dhru Purohit #71]
Written by Dr Mark Hyman, MD
What do women’s health, dirt, and household pets have in common? More than you might think. When it comes to all living things, bacteria play a major role. Now, with emerging research in the microbiome contained within the soil, animals, and our bodies, we are able to find fascinating and helpful links for keeping good bacteria alive and well to support a wide variety of health functions.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Kiran Krishnan, a research microbiologist that has been involved in the dietary supplement and nutrition market for the past 18 years. He comes from a university research background having spent several years with hands-on R&D in the fields of molecular medicine and microbiology at the University of Iowa. Kiran established a Clinical Research Organization where he designed and conducted dozens of human clinical trials in human nutrition.
Kiran is also a co-founder and partner in Nu Science Trading, LLC.; a nutritional technology development and research company. He is a co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer at Microbiome Labs. He is a frequent lecturer on the human microbiome at medical and nutrition conferences. He is an expert guest on national and satellite radio, has appeared in several international documentaries, and has been a guest speaker on several International health summits as a microbiome expert. He is currently involved in 16 novel human clinical trials on probiotics and the human microbiome.
In this episode, Dhru and Kiran talk about a fascinating new study on dogs and leaky gut, and how it’s a major driver of chronic illness in dogs. They discuss how the vaginal microbiome is being destroyed, especially at OBGYN offices, and what dysbiosis in the vaginal microbiome can lead to. They also talk about another study on acne and the gut-skin axis and how Kiran discovered a method to modulate the gut microbiome to achieve healthier skin in 30 days.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Leaky gut and dogs (9:33)
- Why you shouldn’t feed your dog coconut oil (15:46)
- Is coconut oil really bad for us? (17:08)
- Why diversity in our diet is so important (27:20)
- How the vaginal microbiome is being destroyed (28:34)
- Why you shouldn’t use coconut oil as a personal lubricant and what to use instead (34:21)
- How spore-based probiotics can prevent the growth of acne (42:50)
- Keystone stains and how they play a key role in keeping us healthy (48:59)
- The challenge with probiotics on the market (1:08:31)
- Probiotic companies that are doing it right (1:14:26)
- What Kiran does in his daily life to support his overall health (1:16:07)
- Why having a dog in your home lowers rates of allergies and asthma, especially in kids (1:24:21)
- Learn more about Kiran and his work (1:26:08)